11.09.2011

Medical Memoir - In Stitches One Girl's Opinion


Medical school memories came *flooding* back as I read Anthony Youn’s memoir, In Stitches.

Medical school was a time in my life where the details are sketchy because it was a blur of studying, isolation, anxiety, frustration…sprinkled with intermittent moments of fascination and joy. I can completely relate to his thoughts about pediatrics, “Little people, little dollah”, and being torn between life-style specialties and being a “real” doctor. I shared his dislike for the standardized patients and the weirdness that entire situation evokes in all of us.

My favorite aspect about this book is its honesty and authenticity. As I devoured the book chapter by chapter, I felt like I UNDERSTOOD Tony. I was able to peek into a life very similar, but very different from my own. His book was truthful, the language was clear, the humor and candidness kept me interested and I really felt like I traveled this journey with Tony. As I read the pages, I thought of my OWN similar experiences….and my reaction to them. And as I flipped the page….reading his words were like reading my own mind. It was quite amazing!

There were only two questions that stayed with me through-out the book: Why didn’t his family help him acquire better living conditions? And was he really a virgin until medical school? (implied, but not stated)

I will say that I feel like the first part of the book would appeal more to young men, with all the talk about girls, women, and overall “manning up.” Since women do not (typically) go through this, it’s all very foreign in an annoying kind of way (as a woman). I was much more interested in…all the rest. Thankfully there’s plenty of ‘all the rest’ and the book was thoroughly enjoyable.

I would LOVE to read a “part II” plastic surgery residency memoir. It really was *that* good!


3 comments:

Yogesh Kumar said...

Hi my name is yogesh kumar. I like this blog website. I say thanks to that person who made this
http://www.yogesh-kumar.com/

何婉羽 said...

You can pin your apps to your desktop, but you may have to have a web connection to use all of them.
And for £380, you might receive a completely great, if essential, Windows notebook that could do all that stuff just high-quality. Or else you could acquire an iPad, which may do the vast majority of what a Chromebook can, but is far thinner and lighter, and dell latitude e6510 battery
hp compaq 6715b battery
acer aspire 5536 battery possesses a considerably better app keep. As opposed to last year's Chromebooks, nevertheless on sale for approximately £300, it provides a a little more quickly one.3GHz Intel Celeron processor and 4GB of RAM, as opposed to 2GB. The 16GB solid-state generate is identical.

DONELLA FLORENCE said...

this post gave me pleasure . thanks for this


Usmle Medical Books