11.02.2007

Gangs and other Random Stuff

See, it happens even at "good" hospitals. UCLA-Olive View had a young guy drop dead in (near) the ED. Unfortunate, but hopefully helps demonstrate the *widespread* issue of ED overcrowding, excessive/unnecessary work-ups, and highlights the impact of inadequate hospital bed capacity and closure of County EDs and hospitals. It affects everyone, even affluent "Valley folks." It's unfortunate that many people just don't appreciate the full impact of a problem until it affects them directly. I mean, didn't people heed the lesson of WWII?

In Germany, they came first for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
And then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
And then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."


Just maybe..."if (wo)men and elves join together we can protect middle earth", from the Dark Lord Sauron, and his undead Nazgûl servants, instead of "minding our own business" and waiting for *our turn* to be destroyed.

It's not just Olive View, King Drew, or County hospitals. Overcrowding, increased errors, and inadequate care is happening *all over* people...everywhere. This is not a poor people, brown skinned, welfare, housing project, trailer trash, ghetto, problem.

Also interesting in Los Angeles news...

"Racial Cleansing" of African Americans by Mexicans in Los Angeles neighborhoods. You don't have to go to Darfur to get a taste of this...apparently. And this is the city of the rich and famous, where "the streets are paved in gold." Hollywood and Malibu.


And last but not least...Emergency room manners:

If your spouse (usually the sensible one) drags you in for the stroke that you had 3 days ago and you still have facial droop, slurred speech, and one-sided paralysis do not state that “My wife made me come in” when I ask why you’re here. Just tell me what the fuck you’re here for. And after I put you in line to go back to the ER do not send your cringing hand-wringing co-dependant family members up to me every 15 minutes to ask if it’s your turn yet. IF IT WAS YOUR TURN WE WOULD BE CALLING YOUR GOD DAMN NAME. The window for stroke treatment was 3 hours. Now that you’re long past it you’re looking at a lengthy rehab. After 3 days another hour or four won’t make a lick of difference. Your anger, frustration, worry, and regret will not get you in any faster. As the slow truth of your stupidity sinks in do not glare at me.

Do not tell me that you “Can’t breathe” in long rambling 20 word sentences.

Similarly, do not tell me that little Shantiqua is ‘bleeding bad’ with her 1cm cut, that your bullshit pain is 10/10, that you are suicidal when you took 3 Tylenol instead of 2 (gasp!) after mommy grounded you, or that because your emergency is the worse that you’ve ever had, that it’s the worst that could possibly happen in the sum total of human experience. I’m supposed to act like your story is the saddest tale that I’ve ever heard. It’s not.

The worst thing is doctors that not only won’t see their own patients, but they send them into the ER with a wildly unrealistic set of expectations. “My doctor told me to come in right away and to go right back! He said I was too sick to wait in the lobby. He ordered you to do tests, they are (stop me if you’ve heard this one before) ON THE COMPUTER”. I’m not taking shit for orders from some lazy-ass, wart burning, boil lancing, sprained ankle rotating, sore throat examining general practitioner who has assessed you OVER THE PHONE and doesn’t even have ER privileges.
***
I'm still recovering from my ABEM oral board exams (trying to work shifts in order to 1) pay my bills since I've been gone; 2) make money in order to pay down my credit cards after using them to charge everything that taking these exams entail...travel, hotel, suits, board prep courses, exam costs, and so forth and so on....)


More insightful posts forthcoming....

4 comments:

Kate said...

I suppose HR wouldn't like it if I put "I’m not taking shit for orders from some lazy-ass, wart burning, boil lancing, sprained ankle rotating, sore throat examining general practitioner who has assessed you OVER THE PHONE and doesn’t even have ER privileges." on a button and pinned it to my white coat.

Anonymous said...

"I’m not taking shit for orders from some lazy-ass, wart burning, boil lancing, sprained ankle rotating, sore throat examining general practitioner who has assessed you OVER THE PHONE and doesn’t even have ER privileges."

You haven't even passed your boards yet and you spew statements like that. What an arrogant twit you are. Have you ever even thought that this is what the PATIENT is saying and not the doc. When you have a little real world experience you will have a clue that just because a patient's says "X", doesn't mean "X" is true.

漢美女 said...

(法新社a倫敦二B十WE四日電) 「情色二零零七」情趣產品大產自二十三日起在倫敦的肯辛成人影片頓奧林情色匹亞展覽館舉行,倫敦人擺脫對性的保守態度踴躍參觀,許多穿皮衣與塑膠緊身衣的好色之徒擠進這項世界規模最大的成人生活展,估計三天av女優展期可吸引八萬多好奇民成人電影色情參觀。

活動計畫負責人米里根承諾:「要搞浪漫、誘惑人、玩虐成人影片待,你渴望的我們都有。AV女優

他說:「時髦的設計與華麗女裝,從吊飾到束腹到真人大小的雕塑,成人電影是我們由今年展出的數千A片件產品精選出色情影片的一av部分,a片下載參展產品還包括時尚服飾、貼身女用成人網站內在美、鞋子、珠情色寶、玩具、影片、藝術、圖書及遊戲,更不要說性愛輔具及馬術裝A片下載備。」

參觀民眾遊覽兩百五十多個攤位,有性感服裝、玩具及情色食品,迎合各種品味。

大舞台上表演的是美國野蠻搖滾歌手瑪莉蓮曼森的前妻─全世界頭牌脫a片衣舞孃黛塔范a片提思,這是她今年在英國唯一一場表演。
情色電影
以一九四零年代風格演出的黛塔范提思表演性感的天情色電影堂鳥AV、旋轉色情木馬及羽成人網站扇等舞蹈。

參展攤位有的推廣情趣用品,有的公開展示人體藝術和人體雕塑,也有情色藝術家工會成員提供建議。

酒店上班請找艾葳 said...

艾葳酒店經紀公司提供專業的酒店經紀, 酒店上班小姐,八大行業,酒店兼職,傳播妹,或者想要打工兼差打工,兼差,八大行業,酒店兼職,想去酒店上班, 日式酒店,便服店,制服酒店,ktv酒店,禮服店,整天穿得水水漂漂的,還是想去制服店日領上班小姐,水水們如果想要擁有打工工作、晚上兼差工作兼差打工假日兼職兼職工作酒店兼差兼差打工兼差日領工作晚上兼差工作酒店工作酒店上班酒店打工兼職兼差兼差工作酒店上班等,想了解酒店相關工作特種行業內容,想兼職工作日領假日兼職兼差打工、或晚班兼職想擁有鋼琴酒吧又有保障的工作嗎???又可以現領請找專業又有保障的艾葳酒店經紀公司!

艾葳酒店經紀是合法的公司工作環境高雅時尚,無業績壓力,無脫秀無喝酒壓力,高層次會員制客源,工作輕鬆,可日領現領
一般的酒店經紀只會在水水們第一次上班和領薪水時出現而已,對水水們的上班安全一點保障都沒有!艾葳酒店經紀公司的水水們上班時全程媽咪作陪,不需擔心!只提供最優質的酒店上班,酒店上班,酒店打工環境、上班條件給水水們。心動嗎!? 趕快來填寫你的酒店上班履歷表

水水們妳有缺現領、想要兼職、有缺錢的煩腦嗎?想到日本留學缺錢嗎?妳是傳播妹??想要擁有高時薪又輕鬆的賺錢,酒店和,假日打工,假日兼職賺錢的機會嗎??想實現夢想卻又缺錢沒錢嗎!??
艾葳酒店台北酒店經紀招兵買馬!!徵專業的酒店打工,想要去酒店的水水,想要短期日領,酒店日領,禮服酒店,制服店,酒店經紀,ktv酒店,便服店,酒店工作,禮服店,酒店小姐,酒店經紀人,
等相關服務 幫您快速的實現您的夢想~!!